Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I'm just preparing for domestication...

With my class schedule free, and my inability to sleep this Tuesday morning, I decided to make a day out of my current love affair with my Kitchenaid. It started with finishing off my Key Lime Meringue Pie from last night.

If you've never juiced 30 key limes in a row in your life....well, you're not missing much. Well, except the fact that the scent of citrus will forever be absorbed into your pores. The only advice I can really give is to roll the limes against a surface with the flat edge of a knife to make them easier to squeeze. (You could do this with your hands too, but trust me, they will be feeling arthritic after half the limes) I found that by quartering them length wise, they took much less effort.


For the sake of simplicity, I used a pre-made graham cracker crust, but you could always opt to do it the hard way (more dishes, rather).

Key Lime Filling
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice (from about 20-30 Key limes)

Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk together the egg yokes and the condensed milk (reserve the whites for the meringue). Add the lime juice that you worked so very hard for. Whisk till throughly combined and pour into pie crust.

Bake in center of oven for 15 min. Cool pie completely, then chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours.


Meringue topping
6 egg whites
1 cup sugar

Bring a medium saucepan filled with 2 inches of water to a simmer. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, combine the egg whites and sugar, set the bowl over the simmering water (double-boiler style), and whisk over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and the egg whites are hot to the touch. Transfer the bowl to the mixer fitted with a whisk and beat at medium-high speed until the whites are stiff and glossy, about 6-7 minutes.



Spread evenly over pie and refrigerate. To get that nice browned top I, lacking a torch, stuck mine under the broiler for about 2 minutes, which turned out fine, don't you think?



Let me answer that question for you, it turned out awesome, and tasted as good as it looked. I served it to a Key Lime Pie virgin who wholeheartedly agreed with me. This recipe is definetely going in the "Keep" pile.




No comments: